The mission and capabilities of the FBI Cyber Division
Ira Winkler and Araceli Treu Gomes interviewed Donald Good, deputy assistant director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, after his presentation at the Black Hat CSO Forum. He is in charge of the FBI Cyber Division. Ira and Ari go into detail about the mission of the Cyber Division, the resources available, how best to engage the FBI, among other topics.
Specific discussion topics include (with timestamps):
- What was your message to the CSOs attending the Black Hat CSO Forum? (1:30)
- What is the best ways for organizations to engage with the FBI Cyber Division? (2:09)
- If a company is potentially under attack, should they reach out to the FBI? And how? (2:52)
- Should organizations be more concerned about individual threats, or should they focus on implementing countermeasures? (4:45)
- What is the real FBI mission regarding cybercrime? Is there a proactive mission, or is it just reactive? (6:38)
- Is there really a good return on investment for good computer security? (8:20)
- What can organizations expect from the FBI when they report an ongoing incident? (9:53)
- What resources does the FBI bring in when there is a significant event? What are the capabilities of the FBI Cyber Division? (11:00)
- What is the takeaway that Good would like viewers to have from this interview? (12:54)
The interview is wide ranging and is valuable for anyone who is experiencing an incident or wants to engage with the FBI.