New Details on HBO Attack Emerge, “Game of Thrones” Actors’ Personal Data Leaked
Cybercriminals continue to send their regards to HBO, as their threats have turned into a stark reality. First, they teased stolen scripts and episodes from HBO shows via email, then on their own site named WinterLeak. And now, they’re taking action and making demands, unleashing full “Game of Thrones” scripts and leaking the personal info of the show’s stars. The cherry on top? These crooks still hold more data, and are demanding around $7.5 million in ransom from HBO execs.
These demands came in the form of a five-minute video addressed to the network’s CEO. Set the theme music of “Game of Thrones,” the video claimed that it took the crooks six months to penetrate HBO’s network. Therefore, they’re demanding their “6-month salary” in bitcoin and claimed they usually make $12 million to $15 million a year from blackmail such as this, implying a ransom demand of between $6 million and $7.5 million.
Along with this video, these hackers released 3.4GB of files. The dump contained technical data detailing HBO’s internal network and administrator passwords, draft scripts from five “Game of Thrones” episodes, including this week’s installment, and a month’s worth of emails from HBO’s vice president for film programming, Leslie Cohen. One document that was released appears to contain the confidential cast list for Game of Thrones, listing personal telephone numbers and email addresses for actors such as Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, and Emilia Clarke.
The cybercriminals gave HBO three days to pay the ransom, and if payment isn’t received, there’s potential for the crooks to release more data. Therefore, with this is mind, it’s important HBO employees start changing passwords and account info, as well as securing all personal data they can with security solutions.
The post New Details on HBO Attack Emerge, “Game of Thrones” Actors’ Personal Data Leaked appeared first on McAfee Blogs.
Incoming search terms
More antivirus and malware news?
- New Exploit Kit Capesand Reuses Old and New Public Exploits and Tools, Blockchain Ruse
- Serious Security: Rambleed attacks blunted – the OpenSSH way
- Security research uncovers far flung reach of secret ad tracking sites in Android apps
- Microsoft Internet Explorer CVE-2015-0068 Remote Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- Will insurance firms be the big winners in the struggle for cyber security?
- Microsoft Windows Printer Service CVE-2019-1477 Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- Android bug could allow an app to take over your phone completely
- Microsoft Office CVE-2016-7263 Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- Analyzing and Cleaning Hijacked Google SEO Spam Results
- New Orleans hit by ransomware, city employees told to turn off computers