US Census Bureau says breach didn’t expose household data
The U.S. Census Bureau said a data breach early last week did not expose survey data it collects on households and businesses.
The leak came from a database belonging to the Federal Audit Clearinghouse, which collects audit reports from government agencies and other organizations spending federal grants, wrote John H. Thompson, the Census Bureau’s director, on Friday.
The exposed information included the names of people who submitted information, addresses, phone numbers, user names and other data, he wrote.
A group calling itself Anonymous Operations posted a link on Twitter leading to four files. The cyberattack was allegedly in protest of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, two pending trade agreements that have been widely criticized.